Thursday, August 16, 2012

BuzzFeed - Latest: This Guy Built His Own Bionic Arms

BuzzFeed - Latest
BuzzFeed, Find Your New Favorite Thing
thumbnail This Guy Built His Own Bionic Arms
Aug 16th 2012, 19:32

When Chinese farmer Sun Jifa lost his hands in a freak explosion, he couldn't afford prosthetics to replace them. So he figured out how to make his own.

Source: img.izismile.com

From the Metro (UK):

The 51-year-old lost both his hands when a bomb he was making for some blast fishing detonated prematurely, but could not afford to shell out for the prosthetic arms the hospital offered him, instead coming up with his own handy solution.

Sun spent eight years creating the prototype for his own metal hands, which function using a series of wires and pulleys inside the shell, allowing him to grip and hold objects.

He said: 'I survived but I had no hands and I couldn't afford to buy the false hands the hospital wanted me to have - so I decided to make my own.

'I control them with movements from my elbows and I can work, love normally and feed myself just like anyone else.

'The only drawback is that steel is quite heavy so they're tiring to wear and get hot or cold in the extremes of summer and winter.'

Having built his own mental hands, Sun no longer sees why anyone should have to pay an extortionate amount to a hospital for bionic arms, and is planning to develop the design for others in a similar situation.

'I made this from scrap metal for virtually nothing. There is no need to pay hospitals a fortune,' he said.

So, what can Sun do with his homemade arms? This...

So, what can Sun do with his homemade arms? This...

Source: img.izismile.com

This...

This...

Source: img.izismile.com


View Entire List ›

Via: uniquedaily.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment